Social Icons

December 2014 Birchbox vs. Ipsy!

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

That's right, I've added on to my monthly subscription boxes, I now am receiving Birchbox and Ipsy, thanks to the recommendation from a friend. The reason I decided to add Ipsy into the mix is because of how different it is from Birchbox. The two do have a lot of similarities; both include 5-6 deluxe sized beauty samples based on your personal beauty profile, and both are only $10 a month (with free shipping), but they are very different. Birchbox seems to be more high end beauty samples that include some makeup, hair care, skin care, and lifestyle extras (snacks, accessories, etc.) while Ipsy contains mostly makeup products from well-known brands. So for now, I decided every month that I would compare the two and decide which box (or bag) I like better for the month.

So first I'll go over Birchbox, since this is my ninth box! As you probably know, this box is very hit or miss for me. Some months I absolutely love and I feel are well worth the $10, while others I feel are very boring and repetitive. This one I actually enjoy a lot. It came with a mascara called iCurl Secret Weapon 24 Hour Mascara. Mascara is something I always am okay trying out and discovering new good ones, so good sample there. Next thing I got was a can of Rusk Texture Spray. This is a brand I've heard a lot of good things about but have never tried it myself, so I'm excited to finally do so. Plus I love small cans this size, perfect for travel! The next thing is an Amika Nourishing Hair Mask. Birchbox had previously sent me a dry shampoo from this same brand and I absolutely loved it, so I'm excited to try this one out. Having long hair like I do means dry, split ends, so good hair masks are always welcome! Next sample is a Rosemary Shower Gel. I usually don't get super exited over shower gels, but oh my gosh does this stuff smell amazing. It's made with mint and rosemary essential oils, and it's that kind of smell that you know will wake you right up in the morning, making you feel super refreshed! And finally, the last sample I received is the Embryolisse Lait-Creme Concentre Cream (French??) It's a moisturizer that apparently is huge with celebrity makeup artists. It contains shea butter and aloe vera, and can also be used as a makeup-remover, post shaving soother, and allover body lotion. Sounds good to me! This box also came with a $10 gift certificate to The Gap. So overall, really great box! This box was worth about $32.25.
Okay, now onto my first ever Ipsy bag. I know a lot of people who are subscribed to this bag and absolutely love it, so I wanted to give it a try myself. Based on this first bag, I already love it! Every month, your samples will come in a different cosmetic bag, which is fun but also, who needs that many makeup bags? Anyways, the first thing I got in this month's bag is a Cool Way Boost Repair Treatment. This seems pretty similar to the hair mask I got in Birchbox, but like I said, with long hair they always come in handy! Plus even these little tubes last for 3-4 times, so I get good use from them! Next, I got a (full-sized) NYX Cosmetics Butter Lip Balm. I like this brand a lot, and am always open to a new lip balm, what with this dry winter weather and all. Plus, the color I got (marshmallow) is supposed to be a good base and neutralizer for lipstick, love! The next product I got is a (full-sized) Cailyn Cosmetics Eye Polish. I had never heard of this brand before, but a ton of makeup junkies I know were stoked to be getting this sample, so it must be a good one! It came in the most beautiful rose gold color, which I'm loving right now, and looks so beautiful on the skin, I can't wait to try it on my eyes. The next product I saw that I got is this (full-sized) Crown Shadow/Crease Duet Brush. The name pretty much says it all, haha. This might be something that I'll see if someone else wants. It doesn't seems like a bad brush or anything, I'm just really happy with all the eye brushes I already have. Plus I don't really like the duo-ended ones like this, since I keep my brushes in a cup. And finally, the last sample I got is a Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes Mascara. I absolutely love Tarte, so I was thrilled to be getting one of their products in my bag. And even though I already own this mascara, I really love it and am glad I now have a small one for traveling! Keep the Tarte products coming, Ipsy! So yeah, my first ever Ipsy bag was a hit, definitely gonna stick with it and am already excited to see what's in my next one! This bag was worth about $39.50 (not including the bag.)
I really enjoyed both of these a lot! I really like being able to compare two really popular beauty subscription services, and especially love getting these little surprises in the mail every month! It's so much fun, and if you aren't already on board, I really recommend you try one, or both, out!

Get your own Birchbox subscription here.
Get your own Ipsy subscription here.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!