Social Icons

My Experience with the Clarisonic

Friday, October 3, 2014

I mentioned in this post that I'd been wanting to try a Clarisonic cleansing system for quite some time now, and after hearing amazing things about it from my mom, sister, and a couple friends, I took the plunge and bought the Mia2 from Sephora. The woman working there talked me into buying the $150 one instead of the cheapest $100 one, something about it having a better timer, and the sucker in me gave in. I told her about my sensitive skin, and she assured me it wouldn't irritate my skin, and would only make my skin glowy and baby-soft. I couldn't wait to get it home and try it out.

That night I removed my makeup with a makeup wipe like I normally do before washing my face, and turned the little contraption on. I made sure to follow the directions exactly as stated in the instructions; 20 seconds on my forehead, 20 seconds on my nose and chin, and 10 seconds on each cheek, easy enough.

After my first use my skin didn't feel especially soft or amazing, but it did feel clean, so I guess that was good. The pamphlet says to use twice a day, but I already decided since my skin is pretty sensitive I would only use it at night. After probably four or five nights of use, not only did my skin not feel any better, I had broken out all over my face. I usually don't have that big of a problem with acne, a pimple or two on my chin during my time of the month is usually the most I ever get. But I had big red spots everywhere; my cheeks, forehead, temples, places I never usually break out. And those big painful kind, too! I was pretty annoyed, and I realized the only thing I had changed in my routine at all was using my fancy new Clarisonic.

I decided to put my theory to the test and didn't use it for the next three days, and as expected, my skin cleared right up! I used it one last time in the shower, thinking maybe only three or four times a week would be a good amount to use it, maybe my skin was just "purging," but the morning after only one more use, BAM, four new spots. So it's decided, the Clarasonic is not for me! I'm not sure if my skin is just that sensitive, or it's because it's really dry, or what, but I was pretty disappointed to have such a bad experience with it.

I'm not trying to tell you that this is a horrible product, it's obviously works really well for a lot of people, but something about my skin just didn't like it at all. And I did realize that sometimes the fancier, more expensive products don't work better for everyone. The Aveeno cleanser I've been using for years works just fine, so I'm gonna stick with using that. At least until another pretty new product comes out that I'm dying to try ;)

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you had a bad experience with the Clarisonic! Did you return it? I have really sensitive skin too. I've used the same Aveeno face wash for years, and it has worked great for me! Sometimes when you find something that works for your skin, it's best just to stick with it. At least for me anyway. Luckily you have beautiful skin already :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! So sorry that you had a bad experience. I deliberate between getting and not getting a Clairsonic. So many bad experiences make me wonder if I should. :/

    heartoffnowhere.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a real shame that you had such a bad experience with the Clarisonic. It's awful when you spend a fair bit of money on something and getting so excited to use it only to find out that it's not the best. It's great that you know what works for your skin though!

    ReplyDelete