Social Icons

My FitBit Force and Workout Modivation

Friday, March 21, 2014

Before I start this post I just want to mention that the FitBit Force (what I own) was recalled due to many people complaining of it causing skin irritation. I haven't experienced any of this, and the FitBit Flex is still on the market and the only difference between it and the Force has to do with looks, so all this info also applies to the Flex.

As you might remember, I've mentioned a few times that I've been wanting to get into working out more and am trying to make fitness more part of my routine, instead a terrible chore. I have never been an athletic person. I did some sports growing up, but working out just has never been a thing I've loved. I just find it so difficult most of the times, especially because I have Asthma and it really gets in the way. But I decided recently that that all needs to change. I found myself feeling tired and sluggish a lot, with no energy, and I knew I needed to add working out to my life. It's not that I never moved my body before, I would go on walks around my neighborhood and little things like that, but I guess it just wasn't enough.

About six months ago, I decided to get a gym membership. I have had one before, but just saw it as a waste of money because I barely ever went. So this time, I discovered a new gym that had just opened here in town that was really inexpensive, so I decided to give it another go. My first few times there weren't great because I didn't know what I was doing. I brought my sister with me one day (she knows a lot more about this kind of stuff than me) and she showed me some things I could do and a little routine type thing. And that helped a lot. Now when I go in I know exactly what to do to get each part of my body a work out. 

Even though I started going to the gym more often, I still felt I needed a little more motivation. Joe introduced me to the FitBits online and after reading up on them I felt that having one would help push me a little more. Let me explain just what a FitBit wristband is; as you can see in the photo above, it is a smallish black band you wear around your wrist. It has a small meter on the inside that detects your heart rate. Along with the band, you download the app to keep track of everything. 

On the app you can see how many steps you've taken, how many calories you've burned, how many calories you've eaten (it has a large database of food you can add, or make your own) how many calories you have left based on your diet goals, water intake, and even your sleeping patterns if you wear it when you sleep! When you first download the app, you fill out basic things about yourself like how active you are, your weight, if you'd like to lose, gain or stay the same, and certain goals you'd like to meet through out the day. 

Now, I'm not the type who feels like I need to know exactly how many calories I've eaten and don't want to become obsessive. If I don't feel like wearing the wristband one day, I won't. And I most definitely am not going to get upset if I go over on my calorie allowance one day. That's not what wearing one of these is about. For me at least, I wear it simply as motivation to always try harder and be able to see my progress and hard work!










I highly suggest having something like this if you're into working out. It doesn't even have to be one as intricate as this, even just something that tells you how many calories you've burned after a workout can make it feel more worth it, you should be able to see just how hard you've worked! The FitBit Zip is a good option if you just want a little clip for working out only.

Here are a couple other tips that can help if you're like me and needed to get into a better fitness routine.. I'm obviously not an expert, but these are just things that have worked for me: 

1. Go easy on yourself. Don't expect to be amazing when you first start out. If you're not able to spend a ton of time non stop working out, that's ok! It's all about progress, just try to push yourself a little bit more every time.

2. Don't expect results over night. If you're trying to lose weight, build muscle, or just get into better shape like me, it won't happen after one workout. These things take a lot of time and patience. Try not to lose hope, you'll start to notice changes soon enough.

3. Treat yourself to cute workout gear. There's nothing wrong with trying to look cute for the gym, in fact, it makes you feel more confident and will encourage you more. This is something that I really like doing. If I buy a cute new gym outfit, it makes me more excited to put it on and go!

4. Don't compare! The first few times I would go work out I would see a girl with an amazing body and would feel bad about myself, or someone who has been running non stop on the treadmill for an hour and a half and remind myself that I'd never be able to do that. But you really can't look at other people there. You are there for yourself. And everyone's body is different, you really can't compare something that has so many factors involved. 

5. And finally, reward yourself. As human beings, we are very motivated to so something when there is a reward waiting for us at the end. Tell yourself if you go to the gym every day for a week, you can buy yourself something you really want. Or if you're trying to eat healthier, reward a weeks worth of healthy food with your favorite dessert on Saturday. Getting to indulge in a reward really helps making our hard work feel worth while!

Have you tried a FitBit or anything like it? What are some techniques you've used for work out motivation? 

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget the time you slipped when we were doing fast steps. Hehe.
    Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete